Line Replaceable Modules (LRM)
In recent years, a better approach toward battlefield maintenance has emerged, which utilizes Line Replaceable Modules (LRM) to speed, simplify and significantly lower the cost of system repair. At Curtiss-Wright, we're helping to drive the move toward LRM maintenance through our leadership role in bringing rugged, ESD (electro-static discharge)-protected VPX modules to the embedded COTS market.
The innovative LRM approach promises to greatly reduce the logistics burden by removing and replacing modules such as pluggable processing and I/O boards directly at the platform; this eliminates the traditional step of first removing the system-level "black box" and sending it back to a depot for the eventual replacement of a pluggable circuit board. By designing a system around the concept of LRMs, and holding spares at the LRM level instead of at the box level, the cost, volume, and weight of spares holdings can be reduced. LRM design considerations include ESD protection, mechanical protection, fault diagnosis/isolation, LRM insertion and replacement, cooling, and handling sensitive data.
Some of the products available as LRMs include:
- VPX6-185 6U VPX Freescale MPC8640 Single Board Computer
- VPX6-187 6U VPX Freescale QorIQ P4040/4080 Single Board Computer
- VPX3-127 3U VPX Freescale MPC8640D Single Board Computer
- CHAMP-AV6 Quad Freescale MPC9641D Digital Signal Processor
- 3U VPX Flash Storage Module
- VPX6-215 6U VPX Carrier Card
- VPX3-215 3U VPX Carrier Card