CHAMP-AV6 OpenVPX Quad 8641D
The CHAMP-AV6 Quad DSP engine utilizes the 6U VPX-REDI format to unleash the tremendous I/O bandwidth of its eight Freescale PowerPC 8640 processor cores (four 8640D dual-core processors). The local and off-board Serial RapidIO interfaces provide up to 10X the communications bandwidth that was achievable with the VME format. Signal processing applications with streaming dataflow will benefit greatly from the dual 64-bit DDR2 memory subsystem associated with each 8640.
The CHAMP-AV6 takes full advantage of the VITA 46 standard, which was developed by system integrators and COTS industry leaders to merge high-speed serial interconnect with a form factor well-suited to a range of embedded computing applications. The CHAMP-AV6 delivers 10GB/s full duplex bandwidth to meet the needs of multi-processor systems.
A wide range of software supports the CHAMP-AV6 for all areas of application code development. Operating systems supported by the CHAMP-AV6 include VxWorks 6.x and Workbench 2.x from Wind River. Continuum Insights visualization and instrumentation tools ease and optimize development of application software for multi-computer embedded systems such as the CHAMP-AV6. Based on the Eclipse Development and Application Framework, Insights includes an Event Analysis Tool, a System Monitoring Tool and System Management Functions.
The Event Analysis tool extends the benefits of the WindRiver System viewer tool, providing a post run-time view of time-correlated events across multiple processors. This tool greatly simplifies testing, verifying and debugging complex multiprocessor software.
The System Monitoring tool provides a real-time graphical report of the system’s operations, including chassis, board and processor. It provides updates of utilization, processing thread, task allocation and other details such as board temperatures.
The System Management tool automates system startup with user libraries and executables. The tool manages the contents of Flash devices in the system, in defined groups or individually.
The CHAMP-AV6 also is supported by the Continuum Inter-processor Library (IPC), a collection of functions that promote high performance and low-latency of message passing. The IPC facilitates smooth communication between processors, supporting several transport mechanisms including PCI,StarFabric and SRIO.
The IPC provides low-overhead block data transfers, segmented block data transfers and facilitates signaling between processors to help with the flow of high-bandwidth data movement.
Curtiss-Wright’s Continuum Vector™ DSP Function Library assists users who choose to focus on their algorithms. This library assists with the complex process of programming the system’s Power Architecture AltiVec unit, from which the CHAMP-AV6 derives its floating-point performance. The Continuum Vector provides more than 200 functions, the foundation for most signal processing applications.
You May Also Be Interested in These Documents
- Continuum Software Architecture VxWorks for AV6 datasheet
- Continuum Software Architecture firmware datasheet
- Continuum Insights datasheet
- Continuum IPC Library datasheet
- Continuum Vector Signal Processing datasheet
- VPX 6-slot-chassis fact sheet
- Product & Capabilities Guide
- White Paper: CHAMP-AV6 Maximizing Performance with Minimal Porting Effort
- 03/19/13 - Curtiss-Wright Controls Awarded Contract for Rugged Digital Signal Processor (DSP) Modules
- 09/28/12 - Curtiss-Wright Controls Awarded Contract for COTS DSP Processors
- Quad PowerPC 8640/8640D processors at up to 1.0GHz
- Up to 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM with ECC per processor
- Each processor has dual 64-bit memory banks
- VPX-REDI format (1" pitch) with 4 Serial RapidIO ports on P1 connector and option for one PCI Express port
- 512Mbytes Flash with write-protection
- 128 Kbytes NVRAM
- One XMC site supporting PCI Express
- Gigabit Ethernet to all processors with on-board switch
- VxWorks 6.x BSP and Driver Suite supporting Workbench 2.x IDE
- IPC inter-processor communications library
- Continuum Vector DSP function library with VSIPL support
- Continuum Software Architecture (CSA) firmware providing a comprehensive suite of system debug, exerciser, and update functions, BIT, and non-volatile memory sanitization function
- Designed for military harsh-environment applications, both air- and conduction-cooled